The internet age has given the scope for people to try new businesses online. As the digital landscape is being marked by technological innovations, new paradigms keep emerging for people to generate steady sources of income. Online tutoring is one such hobby that can be converted into a lucrative business.
Both parents and students are getting familiar with online tutoring websites for academic learning requirements. This model allows for multicultural interactions where students from varied ethnic backgrounds and locations can learn together. The teaching sessions can be either one-on-one or by a teacher to a class of students.
If you wish to develop a business around the online tutoring model, you can either be an online tutor yourself and manage a bunch of other similar online tutors, or you can open a firm that provides a platform for online tutoring, hiring adept online tutors to teach students that enrol to your platform.
To be an online tutor, you are required to be a professional teacher for that subject, have teaching certification, or have a master’s degree, PhD or subject specific certification. Online tutoring is not just about teaching core subjects to students but also providing classes to prepare for exams such as SAT, GRE, college entrance exams, and also for career counselling and mentoring. In fact, a number of modern courses have sprung up such as professional skillset development, job-related certifications, IT courses, data science courses and many more that require online tutors.
Follow these steps to start your journey as an online tutor –
• Register yourself on a certified online tutoring platform by creating your profile and updating your information. Here is a list of some of the well known tutoring platforms -
• Provide information and IDs necessary for verification and approval of profile.
• Learn to use the online collaboration tools as you would have to take classes with the help of these tools. Get familiar with the usage of digital writing pad and pen, and all the features of the platform that the company provides.
• Attend some sample online classes before you yourself start tutoring online. Most tutoring platforms provide a demo link, and it is advised that you study all whiteboard features carefully.
• Since, you would generally be addressing a global audience, factors such as time zones, availability, and quick response matter a lot. Keep your profile updated at all times, and ask students to give you positive review and ratings.
Once you are familiar with the online tutoring model, you can scale this and turn in into your own business. Then, connecting with dependable online tutors would not be a difficult task for you and taking their services to teach the students that enrol to your online program. However, it is important to note that for scaling up your business you need to work on aspects such as the branding, marketing, licensing, registration, payment gateways, and other important legal aspects related to your online tutoring platform.