Updated: Oct 6, 2019
"Do you know what is an affiliate program?"
"Do you know that you can sell products without keeping an inventory or any dropshipping headache?"
"Do you know that websites like Amazon pay their affiliates commission, which is x% of the selling price of product?"
"Do you know that over 80% of brands worldwide have affiliate programs?"
If your answer to any of the above questions is "No", then this article is for you!
What is an Affiliate Marketing Program?
A simple definition for affiliate marketing is:
Affiliate marketing is one of the most popular ways people make money online and there are many who are actually making a living out of it. It is a strategy where an individual partners with a business in order to make a commission by referring readers or visitors to the business’s particular product or service.
About Amazon Affiliate Program
Amazon Associates is a partnership program between Amazon ( the seller ) and you ( the advertiser ), which gives you a small commission when someone clicks on your link and makes a qualified purchase. It's completely free to join and easy to use.
There are several ways by which you can earn money from this program:
1. First and most common way is to promote amazon's product through your blog or website
2. Use Facebook Ads to promote content on your sites using their Amazon affiliate links
Amazon's affiliate links and Facebook are great partners when you follow the guidelines for both platforms.You need to be transparent with your audience when using affiliate links so that you do not violate any Facebook policy or Amazon Associates Terms of Service
3. Promote products on other social media accounts like Instagram and Pinterest using your referral link
4. Create youtube videos reviewing products and share the referral link with your viewers
How To Register?
1. Start at https://affiliate-program.amazon.com and select your country
2. Enter your e-mail address and select “I am a new customer”
3. Enter the required registration data - name, e-mail address and password
4. Next, you will be asked about your account information like payee name and address
5. Enter information about your website
6. Phone verification of your identity
7. After verification agree to the contract terms and click “Finish”
8. You will be redirected to a Thank you page. Here you can see your new unique Associates ID. This is your Tracking Id. Click the button “Get Started Now” in the bottom left corner of the page
9.You’ll be redirected to the Amazon Associates platform. Now you can get the unique referral links of the products you want to promote
10. For every sale, you will be given x% commission which is available in the account section. You can also view the report of your weekly/monthly/yearly earnings on the dashboard.
What Should I Sell?
When I first started blogging as a total newbie in the world of marketing, business and entrepreneurship, I spent months pouring my heart and soul into my content hoping things would take off.
But I failed. Miserably.
Because I was promoting products that I couldn’t relate to at all.
I’d judge a product solely on how much commission I would make per sale.
This made it extremely difficult to create compelling content — If I didn’t value the stuff I was writing about, how on earth would anyone else?!
You can’t judge the quality of a product solely based on the commissions you’ll receive.
You’ll find plenty of high paying affiliate programs out there with products that aren’t great.
Research the quality of the product before you start thinking about promoting it. Check out the website. Read online reviews. Google search their brand name.
For affiliate marketers it is important to understand that promoting a product worth Rs.100 or a product worth Rs. 100, 000 would require almost equal effort, but promoting and selling something that you and your audience relate to is more important. Elite level marketers don’t waste time promoting products that produce one-off Rs.20 commissions.
It doesn’t matter how good you are at marketing, if you’re spending your time promoting Rs.20 products with no future upsells, you’ll struggle to build a profitable business.
Let’s say you’re going for 10 lakh Rupees in a year.
To achieve this nice round number that contains many zeros, you’ll need to sell 50,000 copies of a product that gives a commission of Rs.20.
On the flip side, if you’re promoting a product that gives commission of Rs.1000, you’ll only need to sell 1000 to make ten lakh rupees.
Pretty powerful stuff right?!
Understanding The Power Of Sales Funnel
Understanding how sales funnels work can mean the difference between making Rs. 1000 or making Rs. 10,000 a month.
Most businesses have a sales funnel that they use to sell their products and services to consumers. These funnels usually offer a low-priced or free offering at the top and gradually introduce higher-priced, higher-value products to the leads that come through the funnel.
Sales funnels work like magic because they help build relationships with customers and offer a taste of your products/services without large upfront investments.
Introducing your high-end products when your prospect barely knows you is like proposing to someone on your first date — it’s just weird!
The best affiliate programs provide lifetime customer commissions. So this means you’ll continue to earn commissions every time your referral invests in a product from the business you referred them to.
Are you ready to get started with the Amazon Associate Program? I hope this guide helps. As with most marketing and sales, quality content is at the heart of success. Ensure you're attracting your audience with quality content and share relevant affiliate links with them on your site. Happy linking!